Lower Back Exercises: Extension
Lower Back Extension: Lower Back Strengthening Exercises
This exercise can be done with or without equipment. I prefer to use the Roman/Hyperextension Chair at the gym. Both ways will be shown.
- Stand with feet hips' distance apart, or begin with calves under the rear support rollers of a Roman/Hyperextension Chair, hips on front support.
- Bend forward from the waist in a dolphin dive form. In other words, lead with your head and chest as you curve back and head down.
- Control your movement with your back and abdominal muscles as you bring your head all the way down
- Begin to bring your body back to the starting position leading with your head and chest.
- Come up to a flat back, do not hyperextend. Lower back muscles should be engaged the entire time.
This is a fantastic basic exercise to strengthen lower back.
Beginners do 2 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions each.
Intermediates do 3 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions each.
Advanced: Hold a weighted plate and complete 3 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions.
Return to the top of this page.
Return to our home page from lower back exercises extension